Wednesday 14 July 2010

Graduation gown



I had no idea that something as simple as putting on a graduation gown could make me feel so special. But it did, and it made me think of how some leaders could feel that they're above the law once they get accustomed to a title or position. But that topic is for another day.

The day before my graduation, my family and I were on our way to Nottingham from Wales. I wanted to reach Nottingham early because I needed to find a suitable outfit to wear for the ceremony, but we had to stop at Stoke-on-Trent instead because the shops would all be closed by the time we reached Nottingham.

They had a huge shopping mall there and I went straight for Debenhams. The first dress I picked up was from Coast, a strapless, elegant black dress - perfect for the occasion. And the price was 50% off! But it took me a while to decide because I wasn't sure how the graduation gown and hood would hang from it. In the end I did buy it and I'm glad.




After registering my name this morning, I went straight for the gown hire section and got someone to put it on for me. It was a nice old lady who was very gentle with me. I had no idea how she did it, but the last thing she put on me was the graduation hat. And after pinning it on, she looked into my eyes and said, "You look gorgeous."

I suppose she says this to many people, but that comment lifted my spirits. And when I started walking towards the entrance to meet my mom, I could feel the light material flowing on my sides and bouncing against the back of my calves. It felt wonderful. Different. The gown had a meaning attached to it; a sense of achievement. That I had the right to wear it.

The gown and of course the presence of my whole family kept me smiling the whole day. Even now, I'm smiling as I recall everything that has happened today.

And to top it off, I just came back from meeting Subha, Hazriq, Migle and her brother at SaltWater, a bar at CornerHouse. The meeting was brief, and Migle had to leave after 1 hour because she didn't want to leave her mother alone at the hotel. I'm not worried about not seeing her again because I know I will. When I called my family, they told me to have fun. And I did, in my own way. After all, it is my graduation day.

So Hazriq, Subha and I went to Frankie and Benny's where they ordered appetisers and main courses while I settled for a super-rich vanilla cheesecake (already had an early dinner with my family before meeting up with friends). We talked, just like old times and it felt like we were back in our first year in the UK. We were all so different and yet we just clicked. And I know these 2 along with Migle and hopefully Joanna too (I got close to her only recently) will stay as strong friends with me the way Shahril, Zan, Anas and Aisyah are.

Friendship is a strange thing. I made so many friends here. Some I love so much but are away, working on their own lives, getting hitched, working. Some I tread the difficult line between friendship and something more. Some I just never imagined would change, but that's childish thinking. Things always change, but the best one can hope for is for it to change in a good way. Aisyah and I changed so much, I know, but even though we don't talk everyday the way we did in high school, I know we're still important to each other.

In my final year, I was afraid that I might have lost my flair for writing. But I guessed it right; my final year evoked no particular strong emotion towards anything because my life focused on one thing only - getting good results. I'm happy that writing this post comes so easily. I am filled with emotions right now. Complex ones - but mostly happy. I know that once my life gets going again, I will continue writing the way I did before, but better.




It's been a full day. Spent with people important to me in every way. It's not possible to live alone - I learned that from one year of isolating myself. I have people who genuinely love me, and the best thing is that I genuinely love them back. Thank you for being my friend and loving me just so. Right now, my life is full.



4 comments:

farahrozhan said...

Congratulations Sarah :)

Atiqah said...

This post is so pretty :) Mucho felicitations!

Lisa Sulaiman said...

Thank you =DDDD

Anonymous said...

Hello Aki

the Internet is speaking to you. I want a new blog article or else I will just swallow the hole blog and will replace it with a whole website full of "huhu"-related topics.

With best Regards
The Internet